Friday, April 20, 2012

#7. An Art A Day - Day 5 Lego Characters

For today's art project, I made lego figures of my characters for my story project Crossing. (http://blog.naver.com/haejinsung)
This "An Art A Day" project really makes me think of my story in a ... well, how shall I put it... creative or different or somewhat unnecessary ways. By unnecessary I mean it is not really required of a writer to make lego figures of one's characters. XP 
But whatever! It was fun to make these and I wouldn't have thought of making these little ones if not for this project ;)

These are eight protagonists for my story plus four other characters. 


I got the lego figure template from here, and drew my characters' faces, hair, and clothing.



Then I made a huge blunder.
Well, I've never drawn a lego figure, and I've never drawn it in a blunt SHARPIE MARKER!!
But my everyday pen, which can be used for writing and only for writing, did not even work over pencil, so the Sharpie marker was pretty much the only choice left for me.
I regret it. 


The marker was so blunt that I wasn't able to draw subtle(?) expressions of my characters.
I should not have gone pass the art supplies shop yesterday thinking that I can do without some decent pen for the sake of money.
But I am also aware that it's not just about the pen but my experience and above all my skills.
Oh well. :/ I'm not a professional artist after all... and it's just for fun!

So I went on to scan it and color it. I originally intended to choose the colors meticulously so that they resemble what I had in mind... But then it didn't look so much like lego figures!! So I decided to go for these strong primary colors (?). 



So you see, the characters' clothings do not precisely match their lifestyle as well. The second figure on the middle row is Han-Mo, a passive and incompetent school principal, and he does not wear those bright pink pants! XD


Characters:
There are four pairs whose souls were switched with one another.

Pair one: Jong-Mu (17) and Han-Mo (41). (강종무-나한모)
A delinquent high school student aspiring to be a macho and a timid principal who has no power in his school.


You can see my drawings and explanations of them here: http://projectmacy365.blogspot.ca/2012/03/5-doodle-day-day-6-constructing.html



Pair 2: Ji-Ung (41) and Jae-Yong (17). (변지웅-임재용)
A lazy school janitor and a nerdy, hard-grained student.


Their drawings and further explanations can be seen in this post: http://projectmacy365.blogspot.ca/2012/03/5-doodle-day-imaging-characters-ii.html




Pair 3: Soo-Oh (18) and Ji-Eun (18). (장수오-탁지은)

A popular boy who is in reality an ill-tempered womanizer, and a gloomy loner girl who is when outside school a miniature artist with a distinctive style for her art and looks. :)


 \

Detailed explanations and drawings of Soo-Oh and Ji-Eun can be seen here http://projectmacy365.blogspot.ca/2012/03/5-doodle-day-day-1-girl-in-blue-soo-oh.html
Another drawing of both of them at school:



And also my clumsy cosplay of Ji-Eun (for fun's sake X)) can be seen here. :) http://projectmacy365.blogspot.ca/2012/04/7-art-day-day-3-cosplaying-one-of-my.html


And the last... pair 4: Miso (17) and Haneul (27) (최미소-천하늘)
A melancholic and sick girl and a hot-tempered guy who was planning to commit a revengeful crime when their souls were switched :)


For my drawing of Miso and further explanations, please click here: http://projectmacy365.blogspot.ca/2012/03/5-doodle-day-day-8-town-imaging.html


This is my recent drawing of Haneul. A tanned electrician who used to be a pure-hearted guy in love (with some other girl)



And, other important characters :)

Hyui-Ma (?) and Hwang-Jae (27). (휘마, 도황재)
Hyui-Ma is a clumsy newbie soul reaper who messes up everything and the one who switched the souls of the eight. Hwangjae is a gang member that Haneul wants to kill.... but since Haneul and Miso's souls were switched, and Hwangjae cares for Miso, things get a bit complicated.. 



My (somewhat failed) drawings and explanations of Hyuima's personality and looks can be seen here: http://projectmacy365.blogspot.ca/2012/04/2-character-day-hyui-ma-fail.html





Won-Seok (18) (선우원석): He is an athletic guy that Ji-Eun has a long crash on. 


My drawings, explanations, and complaints (..) about him can be seen here: 


And, finally--- (actually I wanted to draw more characters, but, well, for now!)

Jaesoo Noh, a.k.a. Nono (노재수, 일명 노노)
He is the vice principal in the high school. And what a personality he has. Basically, he is all against students' activities other than studying. He nags Han-Mo, the principal, to be more strict, and is in ill-terms with Jong-Mu, the delinquent student. :P


Actually I think he is a pretty amiable, I mean adorable character. With his constant nagging, narrow-mindedness, chicken-heartedness (..), three strands of hair, and so on... X)



He is actually a character from my very first screenplay. I just brought him over here because I could not find anyone more suitable for a nagging vice principal. Above is the drawing I made in 200...5 or 6. :)
He secretly adores another school teacher, but he is too shy and clumsy to approach her! X(




Well, so after I made these lego figures, I started to play around it a bit.
(I used to play lego a LOT with my two brothers when I was young... =v=*)
This is the map of the important accident, where the souls of eight were switched.
I positioned the characters where they were when the accident happened.


And the residence that some of the students live....
I have imaged how it would look like, and also how its corridor walls would look like and function.
The post can be seen here: http://projectmacy365.blogspot.ca/2012/04/6-designing-place-day-day-3-corridor.html




Then I put them in an envelope which template I downloaded from the Moleskine homepage..



And attached a hell lot of stickers, just because it is absolutely necessary for any envelope to look this haphazard, and the notes on the envelop should not be easily identifiable by all means. XP Yep, I was having one last fun.


Front


Back

By the way, the doodling in the notebook shows Jae-Yong and his arch-enemy dancing along the music they both love:



So, no, my having fun and messing around with my story and characters do not end here.
I should, though, hurry up and complete plotting....
This art project took more time than I originally planned to. :P

But to me, the creater, things like making these are such indulging exercises! X-(


No comments:

Post a Comment